Sunday, October 8, 2006

birth pic

Summer is such a nursing champ but I actually have a break from nursing at the moment. My cousin took a lot of wonderful pictures at the birth and I have shared them with people although a lot of them are pretty graphic. Out of all the pictures, though, this is my favorite:

birthpics016.jpg

At first glance you would have to wonder why this would be my favorite. Nothing is posed pretty, heads are cut off, no one is looking at the camera. But I love this photo. In this photo, I am fully dialated and going through transition. The midwife is checking the baby's heartbeat, which is strong. I am surrounded by my husband, my sister, my daughter, my midwife, and my cousin (who is taking the picture). All eyes are focused on my belly, on the source of the strong heartbeat that fills the air through the doppler. When I look at this picture, I can't describe it, but I sense something larger than what meets the eye.....words that come to my mind are: support, community, love, friendship, welcoming, excitement, anticipation. When I look at Summer, this is what I like to think about, how when she was born she was surrounded by a peaceful and supportive environment with friends and family, how she never left my or Jason's side, how she wasn't pricked, poked at, or disturbed for the first three days of her life (on the fourth day she got her heel prick test done). That is why I love this photo.

No comments: